Monday, March 2, 2009

13 Snowmen... 4 Miles... 1 Baffled Man


Yesterday it snowed... a lot

On a short trip (4 miles) to take my girl to school this morning, we counted 13 snowmen.

13 Snowmen...

I've lived here for 5 1/2 years and it was our second snow.

People go crazy! 1 snowman every 0.3077 miles.

For some time I lived in Colorado. 10 months out of our first year it snowed. 0 snowmen as far as I can remember.

When and why do we lose our sense of wonder over new experiences?

Newlyweds get bored together for the first time...
The miraculous newborn becomes an occasional source of irritation...
A new career feels like the old routine...
Knowing Jesus loses its luster...
Mountains become Molehills...
Art becomes technique...



We are a people infatuated by "New and Improved", just walk your local grocery aisles and you'll see it.

I want to see the glory of "old" and the beauty of "same" that was created by a God with both (Rev. 1:8).

In our culture, the greater miracles are 50 year marriages and 60 minutes with God.

How do you (I really mean you, it's not rhetorical) maintain personal wonder in sameness? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Yesterday I built a snowman.

No comments: